If you need to put your GCconnex activity on hold, you can deactivate your account.
What happens when I deactivate my account?
- When you deactivate your account, you will be considered a Deactivated User (definition: a user that is no longer active on GCconnex) and your profile picture will be faded out to indicate the deactivated state of the account.
- Deactivating disables your account, meaning you can’t login to GCconnex, post content, nor receive any notifications.
- All of your information, including your profile and contributions will remain on the tool and will still be visible to others.
- When other users tag you on a post or add you as a colleague, they will receive a notification indicating that your account is currently deactivated.
- You can reactivate your account anytime by contacting the help desk.
Things to consider before deactivating your account:
- If you are the owner of a group, transfer the ownership to another member of your group. This can be done prior to deactivating your account (see How do I transfer ownership or make group operators?) or during the deactivation process. You cannot deactivate your account while you are owner of a group.
- If you are the admin of a group, ask the owner to transfer the admin rights to another member of the group (optional).
- If you are retiring or leaving the public service, you are also highly encouraged to create an account on GCcollab, a public facing digital collaboration platform much like GCconnex.
- When you return to the public service, you can reactivate your account by contacting the help desk.
To deactivate your account:
- Click on your profile icon (located at the top right corner). Your profile card will appear.
- Click on Account Settings to access your account settings.
- From the Change your settings tab (opened by default), scroll to the bottom of the page. Click on the Deactivate my account link.
- If you are an owner of a group, you need to transfer the ownership before continuing the deactivation process. Add the name of the group member you want to make owner of the group and click Transfer. (Note: a group owner must be a member of the group).
- Select a reason for deactivating the account. If you want to add more details, you can select the Other option and explain further in the text box below.
- To confirm your intent to deactivate your account, enter your account password. When you are done, click on Deactivate my account.
- The following message will appear: “Your account has been deactivated. Hope to see you back soon!”
- Your account is now deactivated. You can reactivate your account at any time by contacting the help desk.